November 30, 2018 9:51 pm Published by

If your choosing to work within the Security Industry, there are two different types. FRONTLINE and NON FRONTLINE. This article ensures it is inline with The Private Security Act 2001.

If you choose to take a career within the security industry, if you choose to work privately (working for a company which sells its services to a consumer) rather than working directly in house (in house refers to services carried out directly for the company your working for). You need a security license, know as a SIA license.

All information is accurate and sourced from the SIA home office government website.

There are two types of SIA licences available to procure.

  • A front line licence is required if undertaking licensable activity, other than key holding activities (this also covers undertaking non-front line activity).
  • A non-front line licence is required for those who manage, supervise and/or employ individuals who engage in licensable activity, as long as front line activity is not carried out – this includes directors* or partners. A non-front line licence is issued in the form of a letter that also covers key holding activities.


  • If you act as a manager or supervisor of an individual where that individual is required to carry out designated licensable activities for the purposes of or in connection with a contract for the supply of services then you will require a licence even if you are an employee of the customer of the services.
  • If you merely give directions to a licensable individual on the customer’s behalf, you are not considered a manager or supervisor of that person.

Manned Guarding

A licensed is required if your deterring against crime, unwanted access, damage or destruction to the property. If you carry out any form of patrols whilst on duty. This will require a security guarding license.

Door Supervision

A Door Supervisor licence is required if manned guarding activities are undertaken in relation to licensed premises, except where the activity only involves the use of CCTV equipment or falls within the definition of cash and valuables in transit or close protection. This license mainly comes under security guards who work within night clubs, bars events, anywhere a premises is consuming alcohol. A different badge is needed to work on listenable premises. That is a door supervisor badge.

Public Space Surveillance (CCTV)

A Public Space Surveillance (CCTV) licence is required when manned guarding activities are carried out through the use of closed circuit television equipment to:

  1. monitor the activities of a member of the public in a public or private place; or
  2. identify a particular person.

This includes the use of CCTV in these cases to record images that are viewed on non-CCTV equipment, but excludes the use of CCTV solely to identify a trespasser or protect property. A separate license is required, and you can have CCTV along with any other license.

Cash and Valuables in Transit

A Cash and Valuables in Transit licence is required when guarding property against destruction or damage, against being stolen or against being otherwise dishonestly taken or obtained, involving the secure transportation of property in vehicles specially manufactured or adapted so as to have secure transportation as their primary function. This again is separate license required, you will undergo intense training. Some places as part of the vetting and screening, may require a financial check, and will not be able to employ people if their financial history is bad. So always enquire first if your unsure about your financial situation.

Close Protection

A Close Protection licence is required when guarding one or more individuals against assault or against injuries that might be suffered in consequence of the unlawful conduct of others. A week long course, the most expensive license, this required another sperate license to the duties, but will cover door supervision and man guarding. Close protection is more associated with body guards.

To view more roles go to the SIA website here.

For more information, or interest in joining the security industry give us a call on 0333 305 7750 and we can help discuss or plan your next move in life.

Myriad Facilities Group is a Bristol based security company. Our security services are tailored and suited to our clients individual needs. Looking for security companies? Look no further.

Tags: , , ,

Categorised in: , , , ,

This post was written by Callum Parsons

Leave a Reply